There are hundreds of delicious soups, but few taste better than the famous broccoli cheddar soup. Perfect for all you vitamin-lovers out there, the soup can be served with topped cheese as well.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ cups chopped broccoli
- ½ chopped onion
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 stalk celery
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt one tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the onion in hot butter for around 5 minutes, then set aside.
- Whisk ¼ cup melted butter and flour together in a saucepan over medium-low heat and cook until the flour loses its granular texture. You can add two tablespoons of milk to prevent the flour from burning.
- Gradually pour milk into the flour mixture while whisking constantly. Stir chicken stock into the milk mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add broccoli, carrots, sautéed onion, and celery. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, which should take around 20 minutes.
- Spray the Cheddar cheese on top and serve while hot.