The best way to include fresh apricots in your lunch is to use them with chicken. We served them with rice, but you can add gluten-free noodles or other vegetables to suit your taste. It’s delicious and completely gluten-free.
- 1 1/2 pounds apricots, roughly chopped, pits removed and discarded
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 pounds skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
- Tbsp unsalted butter (can sub olive oil)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth (use gluten-free stock if you are cooking gluten-free)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco or other hot sauce (you can add more if you like)
- Black pepper
- Place the chopped apricots in a bowl. Stir in the sugar and the vinegar. Let sit while you brown the chicken.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, place chicken pieces in the pan, and brown them on each side. As the chicken cooks, sprinkle salt over it. Once the chicken is browned, remove the pieces from the pan to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and sauté the onion until it begins to brown. As the onion cooks, use a flat edged spatula or wooden spoon to scrape off the browned bits from the chicken (fond) from the bottom of the pan.
- Once the onions have browned a bit, add the chicken stock and lower the heat to medium.
- Put about 2/3 of the apricots, along with any juice they have released, into a blender and blend into a purée. Pour the purée into the pan with the chicken stock and onions.
- Add the cinnamon, rosemary and Tabasco. You may need to add some salt. Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat and gently simmer for 10-20 minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, put the chicken and the remaining apricot pieces into the pan and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.