This beautiful Levantine dish literally translates to ‘pampered papa’, so you can imagine how great it is. For the better effect and stronger tastes of vegetables, you should grill them first.
Grilling the vegetables helps intensify the flavors. This recipe may be served warm or cold.
- 1 bulb garlic (about 8 cloves)
- 2 eggplants, sliced lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and seeded
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 4 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon black pepper or to taste
- 2 rounds of flatbread or pita
- Prepare grill by spraying it while its cold with cooking spray.
- Slice the top off of the garlic bulb, wrap in foil and place on cooler part of grill. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes. On the hot part of grill, place eggplant slices and bell pepper. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes a side.
- Squeeze roasted garlic out of bulb and place in food processor. Add grilled eggplant and red bell pepper. Add lemon juice, basil, pepper and olive oil. Pulse until smooth. Place dip in serving bowl.
- Warm bread on grill for a few seconds on each side. Serve with dip.