You know what you need today? Pancakes. Try these crowd-pleasing treats without feeling any guilt. Trading butter for applesauce is a healthy way to cut out excess fat and still enjoy the sweetness of this classic dessert.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- Sugar-free maple syrup (optional)
- Fresh fruit slices (optional)
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; make a well in center. Combine buttermilk and next 3 ingredients. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients, stirring until dry ingredients are moist.
- Heat a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle, spreading to a 5-inch circle. Cook pancakes until tops are covered with bubbles and edges are cooked; turn pancakes, and cook other side.
- Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit. (Optional)