Looking for a healthy and tasty dessert to cool yourself during scorching days? Well, we have just what you need – this Italian frozen treat will give you that much-needed energy boost, while at the same time having a relaxing effect on your mind and body.
2 pounds ripe strawberries, hulled and halved
1/3 cup white sugar, or to taste
1 cup of water
1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 tiny pinch of salt
- Clean the strawberries with cold water then let them drain. Put the berries into a blender and add water, lemon juice, sugar, vinegar and salt.
- Shake it a couple of times to get the mixture going. Blend it until it is smooth (about 1 minute). Pour the mixture into a large dish; the puree should be around 3/8 inches deep.
- Put the dish into a freezer until the mixture slightly freezes around the edges, for about 45 minutes. The center will still be soft and oozy.
- Lightly but thoroughly mix the crystals from the edge into the center with a fork, then put it back into the freezer for an additional 30 to 40 minutes. Repeat stirring and freezing up to 4 times until the granita looks dry and “woolly”.
- Split the granita into small bowls and serve them.