This delicious alternative to black beans and rice will suit your every need. Quinoa is a nutty grain from South America and is available pretty much everywhere.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat; cook and stir the onion and garlic for about 10 minutes.
- Put the quinoa into the onion mixture and cover it with vegetable broth; add the cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Boil the entire mixture, then cover it, reduce the heat and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the frozen corn into the pan and continue to simmer until it’s heated through (about 5 minutes). Add the black beans and cilantro.