Tempeh is here turned into wonderful balls spiced with leek, garlic, cilantro, chili, ginger and lime juice. They are well-balanced by a miso apple lemongrass glaze and finished with green beans and a sprinkling of sesame seeds if you like.
1 stalk lemongrass
2 cups apple juice
1/3 cup onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup leek, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro
1 Thai chili, seeded and thinly sliced
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
8 ounces tempeh
1/4 cup low sodium tamari or soy sauce
juice from 1/2 lime
little canola oil, for baking the tempeh
1 pound green beans, trimmed
1 tablespoon light miso
sesame seeds, for garnish
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the outer layer from the lemongrass and set aside. Thinly slice the inner stalk and set aside.
- Place the apple juice in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the outer layer of lemongrass and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- While the juice is reducing, place the sliced inner layer of lemongrass, onion or leek, garlic, cilantro, chili, ginger and flax seed into a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Add the tempeh, soy sauce or tamari and lime juice to the food processor. Pulse to combine, taking care to intermittently scrape down the processor’s walls with a spatula to ensure all ingredients are evenly distributed. If using flax seed, let the tempeh mixture rest for 10 minutes before baking.
- Roll the tempeh mixture into balls the size of large marbles and place them on the baking sheet. Spray with a light layer of canola oil. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the tempeh is well browned.
- Preheat a steamer filled with water. When the steamer is heated, steam the green beans for 5-7 minutes, or until cooked through, but still crisp.
- Remove the lemon grass stalk from the reduced apple juice. Add the miso powder to the lemongrass apple glaze, stirring until fully incorporated.
- Add the steamed green beans and spiced tempeh balls to the saucepan. Toss taking care to ensure the green beans and tempeh are coated in lemongrass apple glaze. Divide into 4 servings, garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.