As long as you can get your hand on some low-fat curry paste or sauce, this delicious lentil curry is going to become the next best thing in your life. Even if you can’t, it is not THAT fattening and it is still vegetarian.
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons low-fat curry paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 (14.25 ounce) can tomato puree
- Before cooking, wash lentils in some cold water until they are clean. Cover the lentils with water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and reduce to medium-low. Simmer and add water when needed. After about 20 minutes, lentils should be tender and ready.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet and put onions in until they are caramelized, which should take you about 20 minutes. Mix together the curry paste, turmeric, curry powder, chili powder, cumin, sugar, salt, garlic and ginger
- Add the mixture to onions and cook for about a minute, stirring constantly. Add tomato puree. Remove from the heat.
- Add everything into the lentils and stir well.