Satisfying, generous and veggie-packed, this vegan chili will leave you feeling full for hours.
- 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping cups diced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 lg. red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Homemade vegan sour cream
- Chopped green onions
- Fresh cilantro
- In a large pot, sauté the onions and garlic in the oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and stir.
- Add the jalapeños, celery, and bell pepper and sauté for another 5-7 minutes or so, until softened.
- Now add a can of diced tomatoes (with the juice), broth, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-high.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans, along with the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, cayenne, and hot sauce. Simmer the mixture until thickened, about 10-15 minutes and adjust seasonings to taste if necessary.
- Serve with homemade vegan sour cream, chopped green onion, and cilantro leaves, if desired.