This Asian side dish will bring something new to your side-dish repertoire, in the best way possible. For one, it is very healthy and easy to make. It is also very refreshing – perfect for summer months and barbecues. If you do not have mirin, you can substitute it with any rice vinegar or even very dry white wine.
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
- 1/8 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons fresh ginger
- 1/8 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 large cucumber
- 1/4 cup onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly slice onions and cucumbers and grate the fresh ginger.
- Stir together the lime juice, brown sugar, mirin, red wine vinegar and ginger in a large bowl. Add onions and cucumber and toss gently.
- Put it in the refrigerator to let the flavors blend.
- After half an hour, take it out of the fridge and serve.