It might be slow to cook, but it’s well worth the wait. Feel free to add sugar to taste – it all depends on the sweetness of the apples used.
5 ½ pounds red apples
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 cups white sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
- Peel, core and finely chop the apples, then place them in a slow cooker. Mix the sugar, cloves, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl, then pour the mixture over the apples. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on high for about 1 hour.
- Reduce the heat to low and leave it for about 10 hours. Make sure to stir it from time to time, until you get a thick and dark brown mixture.
- Uncover and continue cooking for an additional hour. Increase the smoothness by stirring with a whisk.
- Spoon the mixture into jars, cover and refrigerate.