It’s meat-free but not flavor-free! It’s your easy-to-make alternative to the classic sandwich, suited for your vegetarian needs.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound smoked Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 slices dark rye bread
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup thousand island salad dressing, or to taste
- 1 (16 ounces) jar sauerkraut, drained
- Take a large bowl and mix together the cheese and sauerkraut, then add the dressing to coat it, and mix thoroughly.
- Butter each slice of bread and spread a thick layer of the cheese onto the unbuttered side. Top them with sliced tomato and another slice of bread.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high, then fry the sandwiches on both sides until the outside is toasty and the cheese is melted.